A really useful guide to small lift & shift projects
7 Minute Read
AIS Vanguard are specialists in heavy, complex and technical lifting projects, helping some of the world’s largest industrial operators with everything from new factory set-ups to major decommissioning projects. But the company is not just here for the big stuff: they are also here to help with small lift and shift projects too.
Small lift and shifts are the type of projects that could form part of a routine site upgrade, factory reconfiguration or maintenance requirement. Often, AIS Vanguard carries out small lift and shift projects under business as usual conditions, avoiding any risk of business interruption or operational disruption, while deploying the right mix of expertise and lifting equipment to get the job done quickly and safely with as little fuss as possible.
So, what does AIS Vanguard mean by lift & shift?
When AIS Vanguard talks about lift and shift, the company could be referring to any requirement to move an asset; whether a customer needs to remove the asset from site, move it around site, or offload it and lift it into position when it arrives.
The assets AIS Vanguard needs to lift and move as part of small lift and shift projects vary considerably and the lift and shift projects the company routinely deliver include:
- Moving a sensitive piece of equipment to a new location
- Removal of redundant ducting and recovering the scrap value
- Offloading a new machine
- Lifting air handling units into place
- Installation of rooftop plant
- Dismantling of plant and loading it to transport, ensuring all equipment is fully match marked and catalogued
Whatever the requirement, no job is too big or too small for AIS Vanguard. As a local supply chain partner with a national branch network, a wholly owned fleet of lifting equipment and commercial vehicles, and an in-house team of certified and experienced industrial services professionals, the company can get to site quickly to get the job done safely and on time.
What you need to know if you’re planning a lift and shift project?
If you’re planning a lift and shift project, it’s a good idea to talk to the AIS Vanguard team as early as possible in the planning process so that their lift and shift experts can help you to minimise any disruption, keep costs down and ensure the highest levels of safety.
AIS Vanguard’s experienced lift and shift experts will take a brief from you and complete a site visit to find out more about the specific logistical and health and safety considerations involved, before developing a detailed method statement and risk assessment.
It’s important to anticipate all the considerations for your specific project, and the AIS Vanguard team will walk you through these, creating a checklist for you that will help you reduce risk and leverage maximum value from working with lift and shift experts.
Things to consider when planning a lift and shift project
Many lift and shift projects can be completed in as little as a few hours but planning is critical to optimising efficiency and safety. Here are just a few of the considerations AIS Vanguard’s lift and shift experts will guide you through as part of the lift and shift planning process:
- Timing: can the project be done during planned downtime? If not, when is the most appropriate time to minimise disruption?
- Personnel: who needs to be on-site? Who will co-ordinate with the AIS Vanguard team to ensure your team are briefed and ready?
- 3rd parties: does the project involve a delivery or removal to a 3rd AIS Vanguard can liaise with them for you to ensure everything runs like clockwork.
- Health & Safety: do you have any site-specific safety considerations? AIS Vanguard can build those into their RAMS
- Site access: do you need to clear obstacles or hazards before the lift and shift project can be done?
- M&E: Will you require isolations or diversions to services? (AIS Vanguard can help with that too!)
- Additions to scope: is there anything else that can be done at the same time, such as removing redundant assets to recoup their scrap value?
What equipment is used during lift and shift projects?
AIS Vanguard has a diverse and wholly owned fleet of lifting equipment and commercial vehicles based across the company’s national branch network. The company’s experience and resources in major industrial services projects means that they have the range of lifting equipment available to offer you a best-fit solution.
AIS Vanguard’s lifting equipment includes:
- Megalift hydraulic gantries with a capacity of up to 1000t
- Valla cranes up to 20t
- Franna pick and carry cranes
- Low level access equipment
- Various skates, slings and chains
There is no one-size-fits-all solution, and your AIS Vanguard lift and shift project team will select the right combination of lifting equipment and certified, skilled personnel to deliver you project safely, efficiently and cost-effectively, aligned to your commercial and operational needs.
Why is AIS Vanguard often considered the best company for lift and shift projects?
With AIS Vanguard’s expertise in major industrial services projects, the company brings big project know-how and due diligence to small lift and shift project requirements.
What that means for you is access to the right equipment and expertise to get the job done quickly, safely and with as little disruption as possible.
AIS Vanguard’s best practice approach means you can expect a bespoke method statement for your lift and shift project, along with a meticulous approach to health and safety and a cost-effective service.
Thanks to the company’s lifting experience, expert industrial services team, and wholly owned fleet of lifting equipment and commercial vehicles, they can promise you that if your lift and shift project can be done, they can do it.